Product Code : Carboplatin
What Carboplatin Is Used For:
- Carboplatin is used to treat ovarian cancer.
- Carboplatin is also used for other types of cancer, including lung, head and neck, endometrial, esophageal, bladder, breast, and cervical; central nervous system or germ cell tumors; osteogenic sarcoma; and as preparation for a stem cell or bone marrow transplant.
Note: If a drug has been approved for one use, physicians may elect to use this same drug for other problems if they believe it may be helpful.
How Carboplatin Is Given:
- Carboplatin is usually given by infusion into a vein (intravenous, IV).
- Carboplatin can also be given intra-peritoneal, directly into the peritoneal cavity in the abdomen.
- The amount of Carboplatin you receive depends on many factors, including your height and weight, your general health or other health problems, and how your body responds to it. Your doctor will determine your dose and schedule.
Carboplatin Side Effects:
Important things to remember about the side effects of Carboplatin:
- Most people do not experience all of the side effects listed.
- Side effects are often predictable in terms of their onset and duration.
- Side effects are almost always reversible and will go away after treatment is complete.
- There are many options to help minimize or prevent side effects.
- There is no relationship between the presence or severity of side effects and the effectiveness of Carboplatin.
- The side effects of Carboplatin and their severity depend on how much of Carboplatin is given. In other words, high doses may produce more severe side effects).
The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients taking Carboplatin:
- Low blood counts (including red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets)
- Before starting Carboplatin treatment, make sure you tell your doctor about any other medications you are taking (including prescription, over-the-counter, vitamins, herbal remedies, etc. Do not take aspirin, products containing aspirin unless your doctor specifically permits this.
- Carboplatin may be inadvisable if you have a history of severe allergic reaction to cisplatin, Carboplatin, other platinum-containing formulations or mannitol.
- Main Export Market(s)
- Asia, Australia, Central America, North America, South America, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Middle East, Africa